Thread: Scotch Club
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
kayaker

Default Re: Scotch Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
First, I would see how many are interested, and what their budget is for this annually. I would limit it to 1-3 different homes/venues so you'll be able to create some tradition. You have to define the frequency, scope, and formality of the tastings. Personally, I like more formal gatherings as I want to respect the tipple in question and it brings class to the event.

I would invite guests like people in the industry. Perhaps the owner of the best Newfie liquor store is a wise move. Next I would invite a journalist to write about the tasting. This could get a few new members. Generally, the evening's guest does not pay.

Maybe an initial investment of each member so you can have proper glassware and accessories. A roadmap for the year on which Scotch or themes the tastings will have and how this is going to be paid for. Crested blazers, fezes; they are all items to consider to make it more a "club".

You may decide a casual event of sheer drinking is best served or serious discussion is merited by the audience.

Keep us posted on how you proceed.
Thanks for the input Moses. So far the tastings have been fairly formal, but not stuff. I have made up tasting cards for each event and we keep each sample small enough to appreciate without being in the bag by the time we are done. We discuss each sample and I try to provide some info about SMSW, and the drams in question. After the formal part of the tasting is over people can pour themselves a drink to sit back and enjoy with some snacks and general conversation.

Mostly my tastings have been 5-7 people, but I will be hosting a larger one coming up so it will be interesting to see how that goes. So far I have managed to have enough glassware but I like your idea of using some club funds to have a set on hand.

I'm working on a logo for our club that we can use to be engraved on glasses and printed on shirts.

We have our first official tasting coming up in 2 1/2 weeks and I will be engaging the group to determine where we want to take this. All our liquor stores are run by the gov't but there are a couple of special guests that we could invite to future tastings. We're not quite ready for the press yet, but we should be good to go in the spring.

hmmm...more to think about...