Thread: Scotch Club
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Scotch Club

First, I would see how many are interested, and what their budget is for this annually. I would limit it to 1-3 different homes/venues so you'll be able to create some tradition. You have to define the frequency, scope, and formality of the tastings. Personally, I like more formal gatherings as I want to respect the tipple in question and it brings class to the event.

I would invite guests like people in the industry. Perhaps the owner of the best Newfie liquor store is a wise move. Next I would invite a journalist to write about the tasting. This could get a few new members. Generally, the evening's guest does not pay.

Maybe an initial investment of each member so you can have proper glassware and accessories. A roadmap for the year on which Scotch or themes the tastings will have and how this is going to be paid for. Crested blazers, fezes; they are all items to consider to make it more a "club".

You may decide a casual event of sheer drinking is best served or serious discussion is merited by the audience.

Keep us posted on how you proceed.