View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #58
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ View Post
hmm...I was under the impression that you had to use expresso so thats all I have been using. I will have to go try out some new stuff, I love this thing!
Like Muziq said, any coffee works as long as it is ground fine enough and, of course, the fresher the roast the better.

Good espresso blends reward the brewer after a 9-bar+ extraction. The lower pressure mokapot leave espresso blends a little bite-ie, IMO. What passes for "the utterly stunning complexity of vanilla-scented 17-year old Madagascar arabica" under 9-bar of pressure might finish from a mokapot as, "just a little too bitey for me, thanks." Not to say you won't like moka made from espresso blends but you might like some single origin beans or conventional drip blends even more.

Lotsa kinds of coffee out there, each with its' own bright spot. Don't limit yourself. I don't ever recall saying this-or-that kind of coffee made moka I couldn't drink... it ALL drinks pretty good if it's fresh.