View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #14
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
Dude, VS, that's a ridiculous pipe roster you've got there

I'm curious though, I had two Rad Davis pipes, and I think the world of them, I'm curious, in general how your 1. Cavicchis 2. Dunhills and 3. Ser Jacs compare in smoking quality.

I ask because theose are three brands I've almost purchased a few times, but I feel like, for either the same, or less (in the case of the dunnies) money I could get a Rad. Thoughts?
They vary quite a bit. I won't be buying any more Dunhills, they are good pipes but too expensive for what they are. One i've never smoked and prob never will so my experience is just over three pipes. I'd rather get a pipe from a carver than pay Dunhill prices these days. Or maybe another Charatan estate for a fraction of the price, I love those pipes!

Ser Jacopo pipes are a love hate thing for me. I used to have a bunch more than I do now but i've since gifted/sold/traded a bunch. I love the style but the smoking quality pipe to pipe is terribly inconsistent. Some smoke great from day one, others take ages to break in, and some just never smoked good. It drives me batty

Cavicchi makes great pipes. Out of the three I have two are among the best smokers i've got in the whole collection. I bought them before he got super popular so the price point was nice too. Now they are a bit more but if I have the scratch post Christmas i'd def like to add a few more to the collection.

I love my two Rad Davis pipes. They are great smokers for sure. I'd def pick another one up over a Dunhill or SJ any day of the week. JoeD gifted me a Rad smooth bent tomato years ago and its a fav of mine. If you have a soft spot for Rads work, keep buying them, I think they are excellent pipes! And it seems every time I look at them they get a little more expensive lol.