View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #39
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Just got to grow mint the correct way - in it's own raised bed.

We've had such a mild winter here in the South, I figured to go ahead and start my garden. I usually wait until my birthday, which is 4/9. That and the fact Lowe's had all veggie plants 50% this weekend (ready to go for $16). That was a deal hard to pass up. It was overcast all day and even drizzled on me for a hour or more during my prep and planting. I got 4 Celebrity tomatoes, 4 Big Boy tomatoes, 4 cups of bush cucumber (which I've never grown - not messing with the trellis this year), 45 sets of lettuce, 4 bells, 4 jalapenos, and a pack of radishes for the kids. Still using the shredded leaf mulch from this winter as a ground cover. It works well. I also still have 50-70 large green onions from this winter. We've been eating them pretty steadily and they should be gone soon. Plus, my mojito mint garden is back in full production, They're choking out the chives.

5 rows of 9 plants of red sails, butter bibb, and romaine lettuce.

Cukes and tomatoes near onions.

Peppers planted in second onion patch. Radishes are planted in the square in the middle of the garden

Mint and chives bed