Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightAJ View Post
Alright, true NOOB here...

SO I have a Dr. Gabrow Duke bent pipe (I took out the filter) that I smoke occationally. I enjoy the aromatic tobacco that I got at my local B&M, but have yet to get down the 'technique' to true pipe smoking.

Tonight I lit up a bowl, and it tasted odd, had a super loose draw (tobacco flakes were getting in my mouth, yuk!), and something made a crackling sound while I was smoking... I realize I probably need to learn the proper way of smoking, but what caused this bad smoke tonight?? Is it the pipe or me?

I appreciate any help!

aj
It sounds like you packed just a tad too loose. However it is always better to pack your pipe on the loose side because all you have to do is tamp it down a bit to tighten it up to where you like the draw.

To answer your more general question of is it the pipe or me I can bet that your inexperience is not helping much. I would say its more you than the pipe. Pipe smoking is a finicky activity and it takes years to master, that being said grabows aren't exactly at the higher end of quality but never the less once you start to learn the intricacies of pipe smoking it will become more enjoyable.