View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #6581
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
I don't know much about 1911's other then the fact that I want one.. no check that.. I NEED one. But i've heard that the new springfield and kimber 1911's aren't nearly as good as they used to be and that S&W and Sig make the better 1911's now unless you go custom built or very high end 1911. Just what I've heard from forum talk at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Not sure about Springfield but the knock on Kimber is the MIM (metal injection molded) parts and the plastic main spring housing. All drop in replaceable parts if you should ever have issue with them. I haven't had any issues that weren't self imposed. I rounded out the mag release catch pin, which is a small allen wrench head. I'm replacing it with a Wilson Combat one, that uses a flat head screw rather than an allen, and it costs $3. The mainspring housing takes almost no wear and Kimber went that route to decrease weight.

That said my Kimber is 12 years old so I can't say much about the newest ones other than the two my BILs own. Both have had good luck as well.
My Kimber is just over a year old, no issues or malfunctions. Great shooter and not too bad to carry depending on what I'm wearing. Plus I think the Eclipse is a great looking weapon.