View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I'm Looking For A Good Southern Biscuits & Gravy Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Tot tell the truth, all you need for bisuits and white gravy is to cook up your breakfast sausage , pour off 75-80%
of the grease, add about two tablespoons of flour, stir and scrape getting it hot, KEEP IT MOVING, and get it hotter,
ever hotter without smoke or burn, and then douse it with a cup of milk and stir, stir, stir, and scrape, scrape, scrape,
cooking off some liquid as you go. Remember to stop at least one level (preferably two) of thickness SHORT of where
you intend to eat it, because it WILL get thicker as it cools. Salt and pepper to taste as you reduce the liquid down,
usually heavier on the pepper than the salt.

Biscuits are best left to you, you can buy mix off the shelf, as long as you roll out the resulting dough, fold it and
roll it, fold it and roll it, fold it and roll it, then roll it out to 1/2 inch thick, cut it and bake it on a cookie sheet,
lightly sprayed with some PAM if that. Floured certainly. Also look seriously at the concept of the "Drop biscuit'
which is deadly with gravy, in fact, much better with the sausage gravy than the standard flaky biscuit..

------------

Also, to edit, you can certainly add some garlic powder to taste, some people like Allspice, as stated, some like a little
See-ro blended in there, too. Brown sugar might work. I like more savory than sweet. Once you know the actual
physical constants, you can tinker with the spices. Also for a silkier texture you can substitute about 1/4 corn starch
for some of the flour.

Brad had it dead on until he added that "Edit" part. I also like to crumble some of the cooked sausage up in the gravy.