Old 09-17-2017, 06:35 AM   #5146
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Took a page out of Dom's playbook and decided to smoke a small beef roast on the pit barrel in order to do some hot roast beef sandwiches for lunch yesterday.

Was going to go with top round, but the butcher recommended a spoon roast which I later found out is nothing really more than a marketing phrase for a cut of sirloin. However, the butcher was telling me it's a juicier cut of beef, so I went with it. Not a fan of dried out roast beef.

Seasoned it with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.

It went on the pit barrel for a little more than two hours until the internal temp hit 120. Removed it and rested it foil to let it continue to cook until the temp got to 130.

Sliced it up and was really happy with the color. Piled it high on a bulike roll with some creamy horseradish, pickle and marinated red onions. Had a great smoked flavor, a nice texture, and it was very juicy.

My only real complaint about the pit barrel is the amount of fuel it uses. Nine pounds of charcoal is fine if I'm doing six racks of ribs for a few hours. But you seem to need that same nine pounds for a small, short cook like the roast I did. I'm a cheap bastage, and don't like to waste, so I threw some chicken wings on the smoker that were dusted with a dry rub to make the most of the remaining cook time.