View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brand new pipe smoker

be careful on those wooden matches. oddly enough, some of the matches sent to me by vendors when i order give off a really foul taste... if you do use matches, use those kitchen matches you get at the supermarket (plus they burn better).

as far as tobaccos go, i would first suggest buying a cheap corn cob pipe w/ a straight stem. take out the filter, look down the shank and make sure the airway is clear (sometimes there are chunks of woods still in there). then head to the closest B&M, talk to the guys that know pipe tobacco, not the doofus who knows very little about cigars and nothing about pipe tobacco... you can use the corn cob as your "taste tester".
explain your situation to the guy that knows pipe tobacco. if you don't want a fruity smelling aromatic, tell him... let him know you want tobacco that tastes like tobacco...
i'd ask for a mild oriental blend, a Virginia/Perique blend, and let him choose something else.

they will most likely let you try a sample from their own personal tins they have open behind the counter...

also, if you're not too shy, ask them to demonstrate how they load your pipe. it's one thing to be told online in text how to do, it's another to actually see it done.