View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #1829
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I have posted this before, but I have had butts which were done perfectly and the bone was solid in the meat still. You really NEED to get a reliable thermometer. I have been wrong just going by the temp before, but it's rare. Also, you might not have been going at 220F. Those pics you posted look like the bark was a bit dried out which results mostly from a higher temp (since you stated you only let them smoke for ~8 hours).

I will get a thermometer for sure, but I think the idea is that you have to rely more on how it seems to want to pull apart more so than the temp itself.

I didn't find the bark to be dry at all. It held around 225 for the first few hours and maybe for a stretch over the last 2 hours, was probably closer to 250 because I failed to see that the water was nearly gone, explaining why I didn't get the temp to come down after almost closing the vents completely.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote