View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #99
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Official Asylum Reef Tank Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
For a reef, suggestion number 1.
Get rid of the undergravel filter.
That stuff will come back to haunt you.

Suggestion 2.
Use the crush coral as you base.
Add live sand to that.
Only do this is you can stand not to stir things around.
The crushed coral below will become a denitrator for you.
If you can't keep from stirring, go live sand all the way.
Andre, I agree with Carlos 100% (for what that's worth, hehe).
I used an undergravel filter in my reef tank for a lot of years and could never keep my water stable. I have no idea why, but it'd just go wild and stuff would die for no apparent reason. I could never keep anything alive.
Getting rid of that undergravel filter marked a turning point and everything has just gotten better since.
I know it doesn't make sense based on what I know from keeping freshwater since I was a kid, but salt is different, obviously.

I use crushed coral, and LOTS of it. I also use tons of shells of all different sizes. It's a nice look, I like it.
All told I bet there's at least 2 pounds per gallon between crushed coral and shells. A good 3-4" in the bottom of my tank.
Those couple things Carlos mentioned have made huge difference for me along the way. Consider yourself fortunate that he brought it up, it'll save you a lot of trouble that I went through if you choose to take his suggestions.