Fia
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Trading: (0)
Fia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BOTL from Hawaii please help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
I have a friend in the Navy over there and his wife has been looking for a job as a Nurse for over a year. The cost of living is insane, it will give you a mild stroke the first time you walk into a grocery store. I didn't like Oahu because of how crowded it is and the tiny area just made me feel trapped all the time. Other islands may be better. A lot of my friends really love it there, but for me the nice weather and scenery didn't make up for all the things that drove me crazy when I lived there.

California has nice weather, so does florida and most of the south, you don't have to move to the middle of the pacific ocean for that. Ultimately if you aren't stationed there in the military and weren't born there or offered a crazy good job there, I'd recommend thinking about whether there is really any good reason to move to Hawaii. It is a much better place to visit then to live IMO.

Some good points made. Then again it depends on what a person values. I grew up in San Diego county. I miss certain things about California but to this day dont regret my move to Hawaii over staying in Cali. There are things that drive me crazy about Cali too. Too many people are in a rush, too many people are up in your business if you know what I mean, too many people are inconsiderate, too crowded, etc. No one single place will be perfect IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle View Post
I lived on Oahu for a few years and I wish I still could live there. Only reason we left is my wife wanted to get back to her family after her brother had their first kid. Yes the cost of living is higher, but just like anywhere else, you simply adjust. Make sure you have a Costco membership and shop smart. There are a lot of places that don't need the A/C running all the time, there's a lot of cool breeze that can run through houses/apartments as long as there is good placement of windows and sliding doors.

It sounds like from above nursing isn't a sure thing in Hawaii unless your wife has a lot of experience. One thing I will say is that it's not the easiest for a white guy from the mainland to find a job. The Aloha Spirit is alive and well with great genuine people there, but locals don't take too kindly to mainlanders coming over and taking jobs. Nothing personal, but they would much rather hire a local than a haole that might move back to the mainland in a couple years after getting island fever.

Good luck brother!
There is some truth to that. Locals can be wary of someone coming over taking a job, getting trained and digging out after a short period of time. Then again I know many Haoles from the mainland that have come to hawaii, found jobs and did well for themselves. There in another mindset from many employers is they could care less where you from as long as you are a reliable, good worker. My father moved to Hawaii to work construction in the late 80s, early 90s and they loved him. Why? Cause he showed up to work every day!!! LOL
Fia is offline   Reply With Quote