Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sous vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Bought a cheap ($1.50/lb on sale) corned beef round tip 3lb cut yesterday, soaked it overnight to desalinate, then split it in half. Put one half in a bag, put the other half directly into the water. Put them both in the sous-vide at 165. Going to let that run for 8-10 hours (still researching the time I need). See which one works out better. Going for thin sliced sandwich grade stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Do tell!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Waiting......

Sorry, been a bit swamped at work being the only engineer at a food facility and this whole covid-19 mess.

Desalinated for about 14 hours IIRC. I did a few water changes along the way.

Ran about 7-8 hours SV.

The bagged half came out with the right flavor and was not exactly the texture I was looking for, but once it chilled overnight the texture improved to close enough. I think I'll lengthen the cook time when I do this again. A larger cut would need more desalination time - this one just barely makes the cut for salt levels in my tastes.

The unbagged half came out super tender, and the texture I was pretty much looking for, but super bland. It basically just tastes like a mild roast. Probably would not do it this way again. Or, if I did, I'd skip the desalination.

And, with about a pound left to eat, I am officially sick of corned beef now for the next few months. ugh..
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote