View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road
Default Will you overlook construction quality for taste?

Short:

When buying a cigar either repeatedly or in a full box, how willing are you to overlook somewhat consistant (maybe 1/4 or 1/3) mediocre construction quality if the flavor profile is consistant and particularly enjoyable?

Long:

I'm still a fairly new smoker, been lighting up decent handmades for around 2 months now. I find I like heavy amounts of sweet and smooth flavor without a full-body. There are more expensive options that find this balance, but cheaper smokes with this profile are sometimes ahrd to find. I've found one smoke that I particularly like, Baccarat The Game in pretty much every size (haven't tried the Connies), but of the singles I've purchased about 1/4 tends to have a loose draw and loose ash. I still enjoy the flavor and the smoke as a whole, but the loose-draw examples tend to be a bit spongier on initial inspection, produce less smoke on a given draw (which seems counter intuitive, more air should equal more combustion?), and the ash falls off quicker and blows off or scatters more easily. I can't see any visible indicators to know I might be getting a losse example, but it's evident at pre-light draw.

Should I consider buying a box of 25 at roughly 50% below the price I'm paying for singles if 6-7 of the box may have what appears to be sub-par construction? Again, even when I get a "dud" it's still an enjoyable smoke, just not quite as great as the majority with an average draw.

What are your thoughts, either on the general question or this particular stick?
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote