View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 AM   #15
Hammerhead

Trading: (0)
Hammerhead is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Smoking in an Apartment/Rental

Just caught this thread when looking for comments on ozone generators.

I rent the upper level of a house in NY. We don't have any laws prohibiting smoking that I'm aware of, but it is written in the lease.

I do smoke, but usually only in the winters or when it's raining, and typically run the exhaust fan in the bathroom (right off my living room), the kitchen stove fan, or I'll set up a fan in the living room window. And I don't smoke that frequently. I save it for the weekends, and even at that not every weekend, just because that's my habit. Any more frequently and it's not as 'special' for me.

One thing that I've noticed which differentiates cigar smoke from cigarette smoke is that it doesn't cling or linger nearly as bad. I find that it dissipates within four or five days if you leave the windows cracked. Cigarette smoke is different - it's acrid and clings to, and embeds itself in everything - probably because of the chemicals used. So in all it's not a problem for me.

Of course the other thing that helps is that the landlady smokes cigarettes herself, so she can't smell anything anyway.
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote