Old 09-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Opinions regarding Mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I took a cruise with the wife this summer that two of the five destinations were in Mexico. (Cozumel and Costa Maya) Both my wife and I were excited to finally visit Mexico. After visiting both locations we both agreed that Mexico would be one of the last destinations we ever plan for a vacation in the future. Don't get me wrong there were beautiful spots at both places but at both we were actually excited to head back to the ship. For us the most annoying part was the fact that we could not walk down the street without being practically harassed to buy what most would consider junk. Even passing people for the fourth time and saying No thank you the first three you would think they would get the hint when they clearly recognize you since they say things like Are you ready now? I know most people we spoke to on the boat had the same feeling as us and most headed back to the ship early those days. We were at the one shopping mall that the ship recommends in Cozumel and while walking around some guy was following us around. It was when he followed us into the third store that I asked him if I could help him with something and if there wasn't anything I could help him with than he needs to stop following us. The two Mexico destinations were the only two places that my wife didn't feel safe. We both agreed that if we never went back to Mexico(at least the two locations that we visited) it would be too soon. The best part of Cozumel was LCDH and Chankanaab. Had I been able to find LCDH right of way and went straight to Chankanaab right after we may not have had the experiences we had there but we walked around downtown Cozumel for three hours too many and it gave us a bad taste.
I guess it just depends on the place and the time! My wife and I were at both those locations in the spring from a cruise, and didn't have a single "hawker" approach us on the streets. Had half a dozen trying to sell me glass-top cuban cigars within the malls, but after disclosing (loudly) to my co-shoppers why these were fakes, They stopped approaching me totally!!! Also, we made excursion plans outside of the normal cruise ship channels, and left the ship after the crush of the main crowd. Wonder if the "hawkers" had already been siphoned off? Don't know if that's a plausible reason for the difference or not. Maybe we looked too muck like the rednecks we are!!!