View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #543
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshooter View Post
Arrgghh. Never use cold water/ice with fine bourbon. The molecules in colder water effect the bourbon in a negative way as compared to using room temp water. I read this on a bourbon bb, so I believe it to be true.
This is somewhat true, but not completely. I've worked events with Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, and Jeffersons Reserve and have tasted bourbons with various master distillers. When trying a bourbon out for the first time, it is recommended to first try it neat. After a few sips to get the initial flavors, it's recommended to add 1-2 ice cubes or a splash of spring water. The ice melting and or water into the bourbon actually opens up the bourbon to additional flavors. It is recommended to use spring water/ice cubes when adding to a bourbon. It's not really the cold/ice that has a negative effect, it's the impurities in the tap water that could alter the taste in a negative way, at least that's what I've been told.

In the end though, bourbon is just like cigars, drink what you want, how you want, just as long as you enjoy it.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote