View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #962
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
I'm wondering what are the good "basic blends" that all new pipe smokers should try/start with to guide them in the direction of what they like. I have been watching the latest purchase thread getting ideas but I figured I'd also ask the almighty experts.

I've got two blends right now, a virginia blend from my local pipe shop that is blended by the owner, nice, but pretty sweet. I also have a tin of Nightcap which I have really enjoyed so far. If anyone has some suggestions I really appreciate it.
Basic blends? How about my favorite blends? Hmm, depends on the day. I have tried literally, hundreds of blends. There are some that I keep around to smoke. Not all are presently open, but enough are. Of them all, my go to tobaccos are Gawith & Hoggarth Louisiana Flake and Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake.

Aromatic - CAO Sweet Vanilla Honeydew mixed 50/50 with McClelland 5100, Two Friends Celtic Mist. Gawith & Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake

Virginia - Dunhill Flake, McClelland 5100, 2000, 2010, 2035, Samuel Gawith Full VA Flake, Gawith & Hoggarth Bright CR Flake, Astley's 109, McClelland Christmas Cheer, Rattrays Marlin Flake, Old Gowrie, Dan Hmborger Veermaster,

VaPers (Virginia/Perique Blends) - Rattray's Hal 'O the Wynd, Escudo, Esoterica Dorchester, Robert McConnell Scottish Flake, Gawith & Hoggarth Louisiana Flake, Samuel Gawith St. James Flake, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake, Cornell & Diehl 417P Night Train

English Blends (blends with varying amounts of Latakia) - Cornell & Diehl Bow-Legged Bear, Pirate Kake, Gawith & Hoggarth Mixture #12, McClelland Frog Morton, (used to have a bunch more, but haven't been smoking these much, so it is only these couple that remained in my rotation), McClelland 2020

Others that don't fit one of these categories - McClelland 2050, 2025, Esoterica Stonehaven

Peace of the Lord be with you.[/quote]