Thread: Tucson Marathon
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
goomer

Default Re: Tucson Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
How long does/did it take you guys to train for a marathon? I"m just getting into running this year, having gone from no running in years to doing a 5k and running 15-20miles a week. I"m planning on doing a 10k come spring. Yesterday I pushed myself to a personal best in distance at just over 5 miles. I don't know if full marathon is in the forseeable future, but I could see doing a half marathon at some point (maybe next fall?).
My training was really sub par. I had a couple of injuries from playing football while training. In fact I looked through my log and the longest run I'd done was 6.25 miles back in August. I was using a 16 week plan before getting injured. (I was repeating weeks in the beginning since I had more than 16 weeks until the marathon.) My wife ran the 1/2 and didn't train up for it at all. She ran it in just over 3 hours. Not a great time but she finished it which was her goal. In the end I think it all depends on how well you want to do and how much you want to hurt the next day. (We're both hurting quite a bit today.)Maybe someone else who trained up properly and has done more than one can chime in with a more educated opinion.