View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #577
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Don't see an issue with color and composition at all. Your candids remind me of mine when I did wedding photography. These photos are alive and the color is clearly attributed to your control of aperture and bounce lighting or diffused lighting.
I swear I am looking at my stuff. Unfortunately, mine was all done with medium format (Hasselblad 500CM and Mamiya C330) and is antiquated. I would have to scan all that stuff. I have very little in the digital world as I left the business around 14 years ago when I relocated out of state, when digital was just starting to take over for wedding photographers. Today, most of what I have done involves my grandson. I burned out doing over 1,200 weddings in my time, in a 10 year period, and didn't want to see a camera for a good while, until the joy of my life came along a couple of years ago.
That would have absolutely burned me out! Always good to have that much business however

I learned ever so briefly on my father's hassy system (he had retired 10 years prior but kept the gear), then ended up selling it to finance the shift to Canon digital. You're assessment of a bounce flash is correct. I started in news journalism and that influenced my wedding work considerably. Lighting was kept small and on camera, high ISO and available light whenever possible, I never even owned a tripod if you can believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Lots of similarities. Mine, old school looking as I AM old.
Yours more modern in spite of B&W.
Both of us seem to enjoy fisheyes, although I generally limited my use of it for shots like this, that incorporated an impressive background. You don't want to know how much I paid for that Hasselblad fisheye. I think I must still be paying for it 20 years later.
Nice to see stuff that reminds me of my days chasing brides around in limos.

I know exactly how much you paid for that Hasselblad fisheye I SOLD one of the Hasselblad SuperWide cameras to pay for my digital system. (although at the time my father picked it up at a pawn shop for $100)
Thanks for sharing, love the first pic, reminds me so much of the beauty of film. Can't get that kind of a shot out of the camera in digital, have to head into Photoshop to make it happen. Quite doable, but prohibitively time consuming considering the last wedding I shot was 3900 images in one day (average wedding hovered around 2000 images), so I had to pick and choose my photoshop battles .... I LOVE B&W images, LOVE em. There are not very many shots I wouldn't prefer to see in B&W. Fisheye shots probably only accounted for 1% of my images for the day... just a couple of the church/reception hall etc to capture the scope of things... but I always considered the shots to be indispensable for capturing the story of the day. I also had a 14mm aspherical non-fish that I loved even more than a fish on many shots.