View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Legend's rating system

Regarding the CA point system, its actually a 50 point scale, same as for their wine reviews. It starts at 50 points. And yes, I've seen low 70s scores from time to time. I have also seen low scores for manufacturers with plenty of ads in CA, contradicting the "ad dollars theory" as well.

And since its actually a 50 point scale, it is same as yours, isn't it? You now have subdivisions, same as they do within each 10 point "step".

Also, just from a personal experience, ad dollars do not influence scores and reviews in CA. Its time to put this myth to rest and not use it as an excuse every time you (or I or whoever else) do not agree with a CA review. As the saying goes, there are no great wines (cigar lines), just great BOTTLES (cigars). As in THAT particular wine or cigar, on THAT particular day. You and I have no idea how a particular cigar was smoked by a CA staffer: ambient temp, surroundings, emotional state that day (hey, I just wrecked my Ferrari running from my girlfriend's husband!), etc. There are many factors that always affect one's enjoinment of something and unless you and I can duplicate those factors to the minute detail we shouldn't question a particular review, we can either agree with it or not.

If anything, what happens at CA is their ad dept calls everyone before a particular issue goes into print, that's what ANY magazine's marketing dept is all about. Manufacturers can then either place an ad in the CA issue with the review to capitalize on the score and hopefully make inroads in the marketplace, or decline to place an ad. Their choice and no one else's, even if they decide not to place an ad that review will still be published.

Ever see advertisements for such wines as Marcassin, Kosta Browne, Sine Qua Non, Aubert, Screaming Eagle in Wine Spectator? Latour, Haut Brion? And plenty of others. And you won't. That doesn't stop Wine Spectator from issuing incredible reviews and scores for these wines year in and year out. Same with cigars, there are NO ad dollars in play.

Here's my rating system, just as valid as yours and anyone else's:

Wouldn't gift to an enemy, sould be used in chemical warfare
Backyard fertilizer material
Will smoke if there is nothing else to do that week
Not bad, but won't go out of my way to find one
Really good, would recommend to friends
Great, will use my kid's college money (or second mortgage) to buy more of
Incredible, should be my last smoke in this world

In regard to your "5 best cigars" reference in your rating system, is it actually just 5 cigars? Would like to see which ones just to calibrate my palate and hopefully find cigars I may have missed out on.

TIA.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote