View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Accuracy of salt test calibration

Not to discourage you... But I have very very serious doubts about the salt test. Not really the test itself but with hygrometers. Not trying to rain on Anyones parade here but I've never seen anything or any scientific source where the validity of the salt test has ever been proven accurate. And, even if I had seen such proof... It doesn't mean the hygros are reading properly. I've tried on more than one occasion (at least a dozen) to calibrate hygrometers using it with oftentimes terribly inaccurate or even impossibly false results... On several occasions testing up to 10 of the same exact model hygro... On others testing at least 7 different models of hygros... In the same test at once... Getting vastly different readings from each hygro even after calibrating.

The truth is... The only really reliable way (IMO) to tell if your cigars are at the right humidity is to feel your cigars. Feel them between your fingers... Smoke them, literally fondle them until you can pick up your favorite cigar and know by the way it feels if it is going to smoke the way you want it to.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote