View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cheaper alternative to Roncillio

+2 on the 1-3 cup mokapot.

Spend the money on the absolute goodest possible grinder; it will serve all coffee needs from now until there is no coffee. Getting a 2nd or 3rd tier espresso machine is money you will regret spending, especially when a mokapot plus capable grinder does such a great job.

I recently dared to compare two-ounces of well made moka, AeroPress drip and espresso pulled about as good as you can do it. While the three devices make different (strong) coffee, each has its own special charms and cannot be dismissed on its own merits. FWIW, its hard to gripe about a $20 mokapot shot compared to a $1000 espresso machine shot. Start smart - get the best grinder you can. If you decide later that home espresso isn't your game, you still have a grinder that'll make all your other coffee options better; if home espresso does turn out to be your passion (it happens - whoa yeah) then it'll never be right without a top flight grinder.