View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #41
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My new project, I am building a smoker!

It looks killer brother!!!

A couple of tips...

-Don't use your exhaust to control the temp. Leave them all open and control the temp with your intakes only. You will have much cleaner smoke that way. Most of the time I would have one intake open and the ball valve about half way open to keep it chugging at 225.

-Find a metal coffee can... the large size. Cut out the top and bottom. Put the coffee can in the middle of your charcoal grate. Fill up the ring around the coffee can. Light about a half of a chimney of coals. Once they are ready pour them in the coffee can. Live the coffee can out (be careful... us really long tongs or welders gloves). You will have a perfect Minion method!!!

-If you notice your temps dropping a bit give the drum a shake. This really only comes in the play on long cooks, but sometimes the ash needs a little help to fall through the grate.

-Cook some pork, I would do a pork butt if I had the time or fatties if I needed to do something quicker, to season the drum. Nothing seasons like pork fat!!!

Enjoy your cooker... once you get used to it you will be amazed at what a great cooker they are.