Thread: nice rums?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #235
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: nice rums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
It all depends. I've never had Oronoco, but it generally gets ranked pretty good for a clear rum. Should make a killer mojito. I'm not a fan of the clear Mount Gay, never had clear Appleton. The 'regular' dark rums from both companies are comparable to your average bottle of Bacardi, the V/X maybe a little better, the Mount Gay Eclipse a little less. Both companies make some nice aged rums though.

Mount Gay Extra Old is comparable to Cruzan Single Barrel. I think of it as an 'entry level' aged rum. It's got a nice 'barrel' flavor, toasted caramel, etc. If you like sweet rums like Zaya/Zacapa, Extra Old may not fit your taste. If you prefer a drier style, it's worth keeping around.

Appleton is similar, though they have more of a variety of aged rums. I just finished a bottle of Appleton Extra. It was good, but not as good as Mount Gay Extra Old. The V/X is their 'standard' dark rum, again similar to Bacardi. I haven't tried the other blends, so no comment there.

If you liked the Brugal (was it clear, gold, or anejo?), try the Appleton. If they've got Mount Gay Extra Old, give that one a shot too, but I'd avoid the MG Eclipse. If you want a change of pace/clear rum, pick up the Oronoco.
I am not looking for rum to mix - sorry, but I'll probably get crucified for saying this - good stuff is wasted on me when mixed.

I guess I am thinking in regard to sipping rums - straight up. I like to sit and sip a shot's worth while enjoying a cigar. I can do a couple beers with a cigar, but about 1.5 ounces of rum is great to sip through a whole cigar. And, according to what you have all said, the clears are more for mixing and the darks, while you can mix them, when they are good, are good for sipping.