Thread: Bcs - wtf 2011
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #56
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all
Default Re: Bcs - wtf 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Rizzle, what is your response to the fact that Alabama had an easier road to their 1 loss record, that they played an easier schedule...?

It is unfortunate, because you are biased, but it would be interesting to see what your thoughts & all the SEC crowd's thoughts would be if the situation was reversed. If we were talking about USC and Oregon or Texas and Oklahoma in a rematch and Alabama or another SEC team with a loss to a 6-6 SEC team, but having played a tougher schedule. That SEC team having beat more ranked teams, won their conference Championship ect.. That mentioned loss being just days after the school lost 2 coaches in a horrific plane crash ect....

I wonder if your thoughts on the subject would be the same. See, that is where I think that my not having a dog in this hunt, but looking at this objectively(what I feel is objective?) and thinking I'm getting the shaft on seeing the "right game" for the BCS Championship.
As a Florida and SEC fan, I would honestly feel the same way. A loss to a crappy opponent outweighs a tougher schedule and conference championship. That's the way the polls have always worked

In principle I have long been in the opinion that a conference championship (and really having to play a conference title game) should be a prerequisite for going to the national title. But I think this year is an exception. As Richie says, its extremely unlikely that the two best teams will go from the same division of the same conference.

Look at the '08 and '09 SEC title game. I firmly believe that Alabama would have beaten Oklahoma in '08 had they beat Florida and that Florida would have beaten Texas in '09 had we beat Alabama in Atlanta. If we had a playoff system, I think you'd see a lot more national title rematches from SEC schools

I was actually hoping that LSU would get a loss before the SEC title game to Arkansas so that everyone would have 1 loss and the BCS computers would implode and hasten the path to a playoff. It's bond to happen one year that there is no undefeated team worthy to play in the title game and we're all left w/valid opinions as to which two loss teams deserves the shot