View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #85
RaiderinKS

Default Re: How to Freeze and the Science behind it. Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
What variables would those be?

What concerns are you alluding too?

Again I am unsure as to the variables that you are referring too but I think that the main concern is the mortality/temperature information that has been extensively experimented.

I would however disagree that this is a guess, it is rather an application of the findings of some very extensive research, and so far the results have been flawless in my circumstances, there was no intent to provide absolute irrefutable process to anyone but rather a tried and true process that has been tested by many and shown to be effective. I have first hand experience in cigar beetles and the damage that they can cause and have tried to provide my fellow cigar smokers with the benefit of my research and the process used. But we are all entitled to our opinions and you have expressed yours, my apologies if you find this information to be ill advised and poorly thought out. I would be greatly appreciative if you have better information to assist in the irradication of beetle infestations in my cigars, until then I will rely on the process I have indicated as it has proven to be effective (at least in my circumstances)
The other concerns are how the freezing processes affect the cigars, including flavor, significant subsets of flavor, during smoking construction, wrapper oil levels, persistent long term storage durability, etc. If all we cared about was killing beetles, we could just throw them in the freezer naked and call it good. Because you don't do this, obviously you consider that this might have some adverse affects on the cigar. However, you haven't any scientific information about these affects, and how many process variables would impact things that are important to a cigar smoker.

The variables I would point out are: mil of plastic used to contain cigars, sealing method of plastic container, RH of cigar environment when entered into container, swell/shrink of cigar cross-sectional area, etc etc.