View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #27
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Storage overkill. How many gigs you got?

Desktop: 1TB
File Server*: 2 * 500GB drives in Raid 1 mirror
Media Server: 2 * 1.5TBd drives + 2 * 1TB drives combined via LVM to present as a single 5TB lun
---------------
total: 6TB of functional storage

I also have a pair of 500GB external drives that I use for backing up all the machines on my home network as well as the important file shares (ie. not the media server). I store one of the externals in my desk at work and rotate them every 2 weeks to maintain offsite backups in case of a disaster or total theft at my house.

Bluray rips and HD tv shows eat amazing amount of storage space even when they are compressed down as MKV's. 2TB drives are really dropping in price now so I expect I'll probably pick up 4 (8TB total) at some point this year. 2 of the those drives will replace the pair of 1 TB drives in the media server and the other 2 will simply to be added to the media server's LMV lun increasing it's size to 11TB. The pair of 1TB drives coming out of the media server will then replace the mirrored 500GB drives in the file server.

Drive space is a never ending battle made possible by the ever falling cost of storage......
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote