Old 10-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hard apple cider

I can't remember if I've tried an of the Julian ciders or not. I think I have, but I'm not sure. They're semi-local, I'll pick up a bottle tomorrow.

Pressing the leftover pulp, man, that stuff is going to be oxidized something fierce. Don't dump it into your primary until you have tasted the juice from the pressings. Can you get powdered ascorbic acid? You can treat the pressings with that as they come out of the juicer to reduce the oxidation, but too much will drop your pH down too far.

Pectic enzyme and clearing agents work well together. Pectic enzyme you add at the beginning, it's an actual enzyme that breaks down the chain of attached pectin molecules in the juice, which, if left alone, can cause a haze in the juice.

The clearing agents, and there are many, tend to work by ionic attraction. They bond to the larger particles of opposite charge and because of this, they become heaver and sink.

Keeping all of this in perspective, there is no rule that says you must use both together. They work brilliantly together, but it's not mandatory.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote