View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #25
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tell me about Pigeon Forge, TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
I like the NC side of the Smokies, specifically Bryson City and points nearby. Probably should keep my yap shut about how nice it is over there though, would hate to see Gatlinburg-ish crowds.
Lol!! This Gatlinburg guy already knows about NC side's benefits! However, I can be sitting in a room on the Gatlinburg side in 4 hours or less, and can "sneak" into the area thru Wear Valley backroads and miss 100% of Pigeon Forge and it's traffic. Maggie Valley, Bryson City and such adds 1 1/2 to 2 hours (or more), with travel thru several areas that can have major traffic stoppages and no way around. The NC side has great views, less crowds and we have visited many times. Mostly, it's a time and access to amenity issue that puts us around the Gatlinburg area. OTOH, our best friends are 95% NC side, 5% Gatlinburg visitors!

The other thing against the NC side for us is that we can get comparable views, traffic, events and amenities in the NW Georgia mountains, at only 3 hours away. And like you, we hesitate to advertise the NW Georgia area for fear it will encourage traffic!!!!!