Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default Re: iphone 4 just announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
Whether or not it's going to be a success is not really a debateable issue, it's going to sell like hotcakes..... we all know that. Whether it deserves that success is what only time will tell.

I've seen Zune's, iPhone's, iPod's, Blackberry's, Droid's, Creative River's, etc. that look exactly like the picture you posted. All that pic proves is that if you give people stuff, especially portable electronics, and they'll find a way to break it.

How many tens of millions of iPhone's and iTouch's have been sold in the last 3 years? What percentage of those sold have broken their screens? I'm guessing the failure rate is pretty damn small given that if it wasn't the media and anti-fanboi's would have jumped all over it. Considering the fact that the glass screens have already proven themselves to be far far tougher than you'd ever think possible I think you're making rather a large mountain out of a very small molehill.

NO device manufacturer warranty's their screens simply because, as a result of the amount of abuse the device receives from most users, that is going to be the biggest single point of failure in the device. If that's a issue for you don't buy a smartphone. Condemning a new device that isn't even on the market yet simply because you feel the decision to use dual-glass is stupid is ludicrous. It's doubly so considering the fact that Apple's handheld glass screen's have been some of the toughest on the market for years.

When you drop a device there typically always exists a proportion of surface area that withstands impact better than others. The ratio of those proportions typically determines (amongst other factors like height, angle, etc) whether or not the device will survive cosmetically.

When you increase the surface area of a compound that (could) break more easily. It makes me question it.

That's all I'm getting at.

Read above to the accidents do happen post. I fully understand what you're getting at.

You know damn well there will be people who question it's durability and will perform drop tests.

I'll just simply wait for those tests. (which won't matter really until Apple goes Verizon, which see my LTE post a page or so ago. I assume they'll make the transition then.)

As you've put, apple does make great products. Which is why I own them. I do not rush out, stand in line, and purchase day 1, a product which has no prior review or testimonies to backup the quality that they (the maker) claims it has. I don't see why that's such an issue?
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote