Old 04-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: punctuation strike

not punctuation free but a nifty definition of the run on sentence of which many here seem to suffer for gawd knows what reason that i cannot make out but if i could i would still refuse to acknowledge as such acknowledgment is tacit approval of behavior which is abhorrent to the minds of the mainstream by which i mean that many will not be able to fathom let alone appreciate the subtlety of the nuance contained therein

but i digress

The Run-on Sentence is a commonly used literary device, in some cases going so far as to take up very large spaces the amount of a whole paragraph, continuing on for a very long while without any sign of a exclamation point, question mark, or even a simple period to close it off and begin a new sentence, usually containing a large mass of commas and occasionally semicolons in their places, and going very far on beyond any point of real usefulness, and then some, continuing much further than needed, which is like this entire introductory paragraph for the reason that there are no full stops, (known as periods to some people) in this entire sentence—this being, of course, for the sole purpose of making this sentence long enough to be in extremely bad taste and seem like it is never going to end, which, of course, is almost true, because even though this sentence has not stopped yet it is very likely to stop in the future, for even a run-on sentence such as this one is not very likely to have an infinite number of words, although it can have such a large amount of words that nobody in their right mind would actually want to read the entire thing, unless they found it comical or interesting, for the simple reason that it is very, very long, long enough, in fact, to take up the entire page when written in a reasonably large font, its length being its sole claim to fame, for the reason that sentences do not normally go on to such a length; while run-on sentences can be as long as this one, or even longer, without any sign of stopping, and in complete absence of the kind of punctuation that would usually end every sentence, because one of the most fundamental rules of proper sentence structure, namely that sentences have to be of a reasonable length and have a coherent structure, is being completely ignored in run-on sentences, which is the reason why most teachers forbid run-on sentences in essays and papers, as they are disruptive and confusing, and even a single run-on sentence can be so long as to make the essay much longer than it would normally be, without adding any content, because almost all run-on sentences lose focus after a point and just become a sequence of random ramblings, which, because they lack proper termination, can last for a very long period of time, but as said above, all run-on sentences must eventually end because they cannot have an infinite number of words, though the longer they get, the less effort needs to be put into them and at this point I could probably say anything I want and nobody in their right mind would actually read far enough to tell that I am getting completely off topic and should probably stop now, but I won't, the reason being that this being a run-on sentence it is not entirely necessary for me to be on topic or even remotely related to whatever I said to begin with; a run-on sentence in its entirety can be one insanely long piece of work, however usually they are created by mistakes by some student who understands nothing of the beauty of the English language and its grammatical tenets.

(from http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Run-on_sentence)