View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #16
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation
Default Re: "got puros?" dirty? come in for the story.

Hey Loki!

Just stepping into the fray to further expound on teotides comment.

To the Mexicans everything can be turned into a double meaning and, especially when dealing with outsiders, is usually turned into a sexual joke.

"Fumo puros Cubanos" which to most of the world means I smoke Cuban cigars to the Mexican and many other Latin countries means I smoke just Cubans, or I just smoke Mexicans, etc...

This is turn, is "understood" to mean basically what he mentions below.

When dealing with people on a certain level (like in the Boardroom, Church, new acquitances) this is not assumed and will not be inferred but when dealing with people in a more familiar setting (such as with the boys situation) the naturally jokular nature of the Mexican comes out and is not meant to offend but as a joke for everyone to share in.

I dont know what the waitress interpreted by the hoodie, most likely she just didnt understand and was frightened by the unknown. Again I dont know so I can not comment but I agree with you that I would not go back and would make sure that my friends knew about it so they can make the decision to go or not to go as you have donw here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teotides View Post
Just to play the devil's advocate here I've got to say you're a little out of line (I'm not trying to be a d!*K but its actually a cultural slang thing). I work with and am friends with many Mexican folks. One day I made the mistake of telling them, in Spanish, that I love "puros". Alfonso and Victor asked me what I said, so I repeated "Amo los puros de Nicaragua y Cuba". They burst into laughter at my expense pointing at me and repeating that I loved puros in their native tongue. They added to the puros part "de negros" which I figured they were refering to maduros. Turns out, and this may be only a Mexican thing too, that puros is slang for penis in certain Mexican circles. I asked some of my Mexican buddies at the gym about the word and they also laughed. They have since educated me one the use of many words, seemingly harmless and commonplace, which are used as slang in Mexico. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Last edited by Texan in Mexico; 04-05-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Saying hello to Loki
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote