Thread: Sous vide
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #439
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: Sous vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lug View Post
Ben, last night about 8pm EST my anova app popped open and said something like , water temp is ready. I disconnect your device from the app and deleted the app from my phone. How is it possible that I could still control the unit 2000 miles away?
Very interesting, guess I never thought about it but if it's hooked to an internet connection it makes sense. You definitely blew a good opportunity there

Speaking of wirelessly starting, I was sitting in traffic last night so I decided to check the app again and this time it was connected, so I started the heat up. 30 minutes later it was up about 45*, still not where I needed for the garlic confit but at least it was on its way when I got home. I put about 75g of garlic each in two bags, covered with oil (also 75g worth) and one large sprig of rosemary in one and thyme in the other. I don't have a vac sealer (yet) so I just used smaller ziplocks then put both of those in one freezer bag. Somewhere along the way one of the smaller bags must not have sealed perfectly because after the 4 hours when I took them out there was a little oil inside the freezer bag, but not a significant amount. I pulled both bags out and emptied into separate mason jars, it was late so I didn't get a chance to try them but I will tonight. Overall it looks/smells like a success.