View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default To You, What Constitutes A "Short Run" Or "Limited Edition"?

I'm speaking merely in terms of numbers of boxes of a particular cigar that are made, in order to get an idea of what you guys consider a "hard to find" or "rare" box.
Granted, some makers will let loose a few hundred boxes of certain cigars as they become available, creating a scarcity of that particular stick until supply catches up with demand, but what I'm after is the entire production. If that maker lets go 300 boxes here and there until he's created 3000 boxes and then that blend is discontinued, is 3000 boxes a "short run", "limited edition", or rare/htf in your mind? Does it depend on how the scarcity plays out over the release time? What if that same scarcity lasts for 10,000 or 50,000 boxes?

Personally I think that under 1000 boxes of a cigar, never to be made again, makes it rare. That's provided it's a good cigar and people are after it. Actually, I don't even care if anyone else is after it as long as I like it.
I also think that if a maker cranks out blend after blend, it takes the edge off the magical allure of a hard to find stick, a la Pete Johnson. I know he'll crank out 40 or 50 more extra special blends this year, so I'm not really missing anything, or at least that's how I feel.

I'm thinking nc's as I write, but I'd also like to hear thoughts about cc rarity, and what you all think is that special line and why.