View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #52
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

I don't know my southern wasps because I've never lived down there, but up here we have the curicallo wasp. It lays it's eggs on the stamen of a fruit tree flower petal.
To kill those bastages, I always sprayed dormant oil at petal fall. It was a very short window that had to be hit, or no fruit. (Unless you like work-riddled fruit.)
There's not a bug in the world that a proactive plan won't take care of, or at least mitigate. Being it's gonna be Bugmageddon, I already started the mega-catch. It whacks all kinds of stuff besides mosquitos, and I can put whatever I want in the water dish to draw more bugs. Anything it takes to make a dent, ya know?
If it takes dusting all the vines with Diatomaceous Earth, I'd do that, too. If I have to spray vines with dormant oil, I'd do that.
Sometimes we can't just attack one part of the bug's life cycle, we might have to attack it at adult, larvae, and egg. I do whatever it takes.
I have a whole new biosphere of bugs here in Ohio, including tomato hornworms. Last year was "learn what you're dealing with" year. This year I already have a proactive plan in place to make sure I don't get destroyed, especially being as the bugs are going to be off the map crazy.
I'm going to plant a real garden and a lot more different plants, as well. Fortunately I took time to check out the critters in everyone else's gardens last year.