View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #45
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brick Oven Build (Pic heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Got some work in on Saturday, but Sunday was a washout with rain, so I haven't finished the dome yet.
It was a little slow going as the walls got steeper because the bricks want to fall in.
I had to wait a few minuets for each brick to set, and use some wood to prop them up and hold them in place.
I'll be using a domed fiberglass form for the next few rows to prevent this.
I also botched the section where the ring crosses over the entry arch for the first time.
I didn't build it up enough, and turned my ring into a teardrop.
Of course I didn't notice until after the bricks had set up so it took some time to fix.
I had to build up and shape up the mortar in that spot to get the next row back in a ring.

You can see the dip here. The brick that is in the tool, and the one to the right of it

Back to a ring

You can see here how steep the sides are getting.

Where I'm at currently

Nice, Dom. As for your issues with the dome, Filippo Brunelleschi had the same one when he built the dome for the Florence Cathedral. But he solved that in the mid-15th Century, so you have no excuse.