View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #57
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Let's see those '11 gardens!

For years I started my peppers the first week of Feb and my tomatoes in the middle of Feb. Both of these were indoors under bright fluorescents keeping the enclosure around 82-85F. I try to plant around my birthday, 4/9. The plants usually are 4-5" for peppers and 6-8" for tomatoes by then. This year and last I bought both already growing as I didn't have room or time to mess with seed. Everything else is started in the garden (cukes, beans, squash, lettuce, carrots, mustard, etc.). I did plant squash in cups this year to get a few weeks ahead of the planting date. The squash vines borers come around in May and June and usually take my plants out when they're hitting their best. I was lucky last year and made it until mid June. The heat starts weakening them by then anyway. I also buy onion and collards as plants. My fall garden has had various lettuces, broccoli, cauliflower, curly leaf mustard, broad leaf mustard, and brussel sprouts started from seed. Plant lots of them in rows (small seeds) and thin once they start going.