Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sous vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Chicken "looks" good....your thoughts on performance, taste, ease of use, comparison to plain old sous vide, the Treaty of Versailles, etc...
Still getting a feel for it. Using the different modes, how well the oven transitions from different stages, etc..
So far happy with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
What is the sous vide mode?
Essentially, the ability to cook sous vide without the bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Dom is the oven supposed to essential replace the sous vide process? In other words, sell me on buying one
I have some friends coming this weekend. Perhaps a taste test is in order?
1 steak prepared traditional sous vide, 1 steak cooked in the oven bagged, and 1 steak in the oven.
The guys coming are used to sharing steaks, so it won't be an issue.

Did that 48oz Tomahawk ribeye yesterday.
This time I used the Sous vide Express mode.
This mode allows you to use a temperature probe to cook sous vide at a higher temps to reduce cook times.
I set the oven for 150°, and the probe to 130°
When the probe hit 130°, the oven lowered itself to 125° to stop cooking and just hold the meat at temp.
I took the steak out before the oven cooled, mostly because I was hungry, but also because while the oven was cooling the steak carried over to 133°.
Next time I'll factor this in; Set the oven to 145°, the probe to 127°, and hopefully achieve a doneness closer to 130°.
It took about an hour and fifteen minuets to cook right out of the fridge.
I typically let them sit out a bit then go in the water bath for 2 - 2.5 hrs for steaks this size.