View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone practice in estate law by chance?

I have a situation that I think would apply in all 50 states, so I don't think it's anything specific to the state of Indiana.

My Gma/Gpa had 2 sons (my dad and uncle), both married to my mom and aunt. Approximately 15 years ago, uncle demanded his share of the inheritance and rest was to go to my dad. Farm was transferred to my dad in a quick claim deed with life estate interest held by my Gma. About 4-5 years ago, this aunt became close to Gma and took over power of attorney duty for her finances.

My Gpa/Uncle/Dad/Mom/Gma all passed in that order. Farm transferred to my brother and I in September 2009. Gma's will gave all cash assets to my aunt and said all proceeds of her estate is to pay all expenses to include any debts and inheritance taxes.

My aunt presented somewhere around $15k as the only assets of the estate, in essence depriving the estate of enough $ to pay the inheritance taxes due by my brother and I. I call BS because I know for a fact that just from 2008 and 2009, my aunt took in no less than $200k in farm rental, retirement, social security, and cashing in a investment fund that at one time my brother and I were the beneficiaries (convenient that an investment account left as-is belongs to my brother and I, but cashed out, we don't see a dime). Anyway, it appears as though my aunt created joint accounts in both of their names and claims that this isn't part of the estate. In addition, we have a property tax bill for $3500 and we never received any income from the farm last year to pay it.

Is it just me, or is she sheltering money from the estate to prevent paying the debts/taxes due from the estate? I'm wanting to talk to someone from the state with regards to this and see how they can proceed against my aunt from filing a fraudulent estate because she's also trying to keep from paying any inheritance taxes on this money.

I will p!ss on this woman's grave before the dirt has had a chance to dry from the sun.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote