i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
I have a T1I also and was recently "appointed" my sister's wedding photographer. Which I really look forward to doing but my flash situation is "limited" and would like results.

The more I use the T1I the more I like it but have found that in many situations that "Auto" feature does not get the results I am looking for not only for just depth of feild but also exposure. Also the stock lenses although OK are not where I would like them to be either.
Boy, Ken ... don't take this the wrong way; but we've got a lot to discuss. First, quit using the green box (auto). It will rarely give you good results. Switch to manual and start experimenting. Second, what kind of glass do you have on there? More important than a flash, imho, will be some fast glass -- a fast (f/1.4 or 1.8) prime or a fast-ish (f/2.8) zoom. Churches and ministers often frown on flash photography during the ceremony. Especially if you're using the kit (which has a variable aperture, at best 3.5), you're not going to get the narrow DOF you want for some of the portraits. Third, what software are you using for post? You *need* to be shooting in RAW and using wither DPP (the Canon software) or something like Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw to process the keepers you'll have. I find that the T1i is usable for small prints all the way up to ISO 3200 with post-processing. ISO 1600 should be okay for 5x7s and maybe 8x10s if you're crafty. ISO 800 will probably be key for big prints, though.

Go get on PotN (I provided a link above) and read read read. All that said, I'm assuming that you've never shot a wedding in a professional capacity and that you're newer to DSLR photography. If those are false assumptions, I'm sorry.

Join the CA Lottery (clicky). It's fun!!!
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote