View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #52
Ron1YY

Default Re: The Port Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Sorry no pictures, but last night we had an excellent round up of port and Madeira:

1898 Barbeito Verdelho Madeira
1970 Morgan Vintage Port
1977 Ferreira Vintage

It was first for trying any of these vintages. I have had a lot of Ferreira and once did a vertical of Ferreira from '55 to '85, but was missing the '77. The '77 had a funky nose, yet was still grapey and well balanced. A touch hot and we detcted a little TCA, but not enough to say it was an infected bottle.

The Morgan '70 was awesome! Buy all you can if you ever see it. I have never had a Morgan, but know collectors in England that rave about it and its QPR. This is one of the most velvety smooth ports that was like straight up strawberry jam. A little dead on the nose, but still incredible.

The Barbeito was just another excellent Madeira, not a blockbuster, but certainly no slouch. Typical prailene and dried fruits, with a fairly dry finish. Excellent indeed.

Two people and 2.5 bottles drank... Feeling it today.

For cigars, I started off with Montecristo A, had a vintage Montecristo No. 2, and then a vintage Punch Churchill... Still tasting the cigars this morning...
I love it when you review your tastings!!!! It reminds me of when Dave does a review of something out of the ordinary from his collection!!!!!

Speaking of collections, Moses, Do you have any pics of your collection that you might want to share? Maybe a close up of that bottle from Prince Charles and Diana's wedding