View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #34
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Am I the Only Guy Who Doesn't Like a Bunch of Hops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Stella may be the Budweiser of Belgium... but go to Belgium and order a Budweiser.

As a matter of fact, go to almost any country outside of the US and order a Budweiser... many people here get the impression that Budweiser is not a respected beer worldwide... while in fact it remains one of the best selling beers world wide. Hence, you can literally order it in an inordinate number of bars and restaurants in the world... I don't personally think it's the best beer, far from it, but there is something about it's flavor profile and characteristics which appeal to a very wide variety of palates. (Guinness of course being the most widely sold pint on the planet, 10M Pints sold Worldwide DAILY!!! That's 2B per year)
That's called marketing and money - owning over half of the beer market share in the US (and probably the world now that AB merged with InBev, but I don't know the stats on that). You continuously tell people what they like and they will believe it. They can afford to spread their crap all over the world. People say beer is an acquired taste - that's only because it takes awhile to get used to crap. I've met tons of people, including girls, that say they don't like beer. I let them try a few beers of mine and they fall in love. I gave one girl a Stout and she was like "This is beer?!?" and loved it. Now I can't say for sure since I have never been out of the country (trust me I would love to), but I've heard many places it's just like us ordering a cheap beer from another country. It's an import and something different. I never liked beer until I tried Sam Adams Boston Lager and Guinness. I was amazed at the flavor potential in beer. I started looking for high rated beers around here and it's been a snowball effect since.

I don't want to sound like a complete snob/douchebag/asshole or seem to be putting down anybody. I also understand cost is an issue many times (although here you can get a 6pk of Founder Dirty Bastard cheaper than a 12pk of Bud Light, and the Dirty Bastard has more alcohol than the whole 12pk of BL). I will say Yuengling is not half bad for the price. We don't get it here yet though.

Quote:
You're right, ODLS, Dogfishhead 120 is in fact a very high ABV and yes... is probably more akin to a barleywine... but at 120 ibu's... come on... where does one draw the line? I clearly draw mine a little more to the middle of the road... preferring balance and refreshment as a trump to extravagantly intense flavor... MOST of the time... (La Fin Du Monde however sweet and intense it may be still reigns as an all time fav) If I'm looking for something that flavorful...Most of the time I'll switch to a nice single malt. (DAMN THE TORPEDOES!!! RAMMING SPEED!)
Yea but 120min isn't a beer marketed to drink multiple in one sitting. It's high abv and expensive. The 120ibus are completely hidden by the mass quantity of sugars. When I have had it it's been all sweetness, no bitterness. Big beers need more IBUs to balance out the sweetness. Honestly that beer could use more IBUs. Although when you get to a certain point (probably around there) there's debate on whether it makes a difference at all. Some say the bitterness just flatlines. I have no idea though.

Have you had DFH World Wide Stout? That is 18% and only 70 IBUs. Talk about a sweet stout. If not, try that.

Quote:
And before I forget, While Stella remains my Belgian mistress (however promiscuous she may be) my all time favorite is in fact probably a close tie between Westmalle Trippel, Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale, or Orval Trappist (Which smells like pee but tastes like heaven... at least to me).
At least you like Westmalle and Orval . Orval is a little funky because it is bottled with Brettanomyces, an acid producing yeast/bacteria. Creates all sorts of awesome funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Right, but the same complexity can be obtained by using something slightly less than "43 different varieties," and by changing the infusion schedule. This is where Lagunitas goes overboard and seems to be more concerned with the marketing aspect of their beer. I think most people aren't able to discern one hop from the other anyway, so it strikes me as a bit of overkill in order to slap one more thing on their label.
Yea after mentioning complexity, I meant to say 43 is a little overkill and ridiculous, haha. Many things are done over the top just for that reason - it's gets people talking and trying it and spending the money on it (ie DFH 120, Sam Adams Utopias).
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote