Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Re: NHL '11 - '12 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
Mike, you give us something to think about. First of all, rest in peace Mr. Rypien, you were a worthy opponent.The concussion angle makes me think about Lucic as an enforcer and Bergeron and Savard as concussion victims. Kind of scares you that some very good players could be at risk because of hits in the head. Makes me glad that my daughter did not play the game. Thank you for the thoughtful post.
Its funny my son is young and has averaged a violent collision that made me very concerned both of his first two years. He has thankfully gotten a lot better this summer about skating with his head up as I have hammered on him about it. Whats sad is we get so used to yelling at the kids to get up when they go down. Its just part of the culture and I and everyone else is guilty of doing it. Its generally the first response. Then its, crap he might be hurt. The sport makes you tough I have seen this first hand with my son. Watched him get hit pop back up start to skate then start to cry and head to the bench with the wind knocked out. Its part of the game and deeply engrained in the culture to be tough and play hurt and not say when somethings wrong. That dudes a nancy etc. Its odd I was proud of him last year when he had his big collision and wanted to go back out after I got done checking him out. I didnt let him skate anymore that day even though he seemed fine.

Its definitely something I worry about a lot. The other day he said he wanted to play in yhe nhl when he grew up. I laughed and said he should play baseball or golf. As of late I wouldnt want him to ever play at that level.

Last edited by Ahbroody; 08-16-2011 at 01:29 PM.