Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #928
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

No problem bro, fire away on the questions all you need to. If I can answer them, I will.

I think 10 hours is doable. Remember, the bricks can be placed closer (to a point) or further away from the side of the kettle to give less or more room for fuel if needed. It doesn't take much extra fuel to get another 2 hours - in true weber style, these are fiarly efficient pits/grills for being just an uninsulated metal can.

In mine, I can go a bit tighter to the outside wall than most others because I ground the edges of the bricks to match the curve of the kettle, allowing me to snug them up a bit more, because of this, I think a better definition for a "load of fuel" would be a full chimney of unlit KF. For a weber brand chimney (which is larger than the generic no name brands) filled with KF blue (6.5lbs of charcoal IIRC), 8 hours should be no problem. I get 6-8 with a tighter fit and a smaller generic chimney (I have a weber chimney too, just don't need to use it as often) and usually end up pulling the food and shutting the pit down when I still have coals left.

I've found that KF blue bag is the ideal for me in this pit - temps stay low and it burns longer. KF comp burns too hot and way too quickly no matter what I do. Lump, same problem.

If you can find Rancher hardwood briquettes (Home Depot should carry them), those burn _forever_, like hours longer than KF blue. But they do burn hotter, so you have to be careful.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote