HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default 2012 ACID Blondie

ACID
Blondie
4x30- Perlas?
Box code: Gotta be early 2012
Price: $6.99

I was at the local gas station. I dont normally go inside, but the "pay at the pump" was busted, so I had to enter the store. I was surprised to see their cabinet humidor display. I had smoked one of these before, during one of my first visits to the local b&m. I remember not liking it then, but I thought it was my noobishness. Seeing these brought back memories of my early weeks smoking cigars... when I thought it was crazy to ever pay more than $4 or $5 for a cigar... and would walk into the b&m, Cigar Aficionado in hand, with the cigars I wanted to try circled.

Maybe it was a bit of nostalgia. Maybe a bit of me telling myself Im not a cigar snob, but I thought hey, this would be a fun review.

Appearance: Lovely little perla sized cigar- the size is what I normally gravitate towards for everyday smokes. Gaudy double band, I cant believe they haven't spent a few extra cents and upgraded the look. Claro colored wrapper, almost a sickly color, but so smooth and flawless that it wasnt for a tiny vein I would have guessed it was machine made.

Construction: Perfect pigtail cap. Wrapper neatly applied. Light grey ash holds fairly well. Inspection of the foot leads me to believe they do not incorporate the "entubar" method of rolling at the Jonathan Drew Factory. Burn stayed pretty sharp throughout the smoke, no touch-ups necessary.

Prelight: Draw is perfect, pre-light flavor is of urinal cake, but flavor on the lips is sickeningly sweet. Not a good sweet, more like an aspartame artificial sweet.

Impressions: Aroma is of incense. Not Tebetian temple incense, more like dirty hippie's apartment incense- exotic, musky, sickeningly sweet. Smoke is soft and delicate. Retro-hale produces flavor of stale Marlboro lights on the palate. About half an inch in I start to feel a bit of nausea develop. I figure I dont want this thing polluting my office anymore, so I take it on my drive home. Nausea is still present, Im fighting it though, determined to finish this "cigar". The sweet flavored tip is overwhelming.

At about the half way point, the distinct "flavor" of White-Out correction fluid develops (you youngsters will have to google it..its what we used before computers offered us spell check). This flavor comes and goes, and is contributing to my nausea. Its a good thing Im in the car now, as Im constantly spitting... you know how your mouth tends to over-salivate right before you puke?

I am astounded that Im only about 20 minutes into this cigar, and I feel like I dont want to smoke ever again... its like a whole weekend worth of cigar smoking crammed into two inches of cigar. I trudge onward.

Sweet tip flavor is still overpowering. I coudnt wait for this cigar to end. Entire smoking time approximately 30 agonizing minutes.

Afterwards the sweet tip flavor lingered on my lips to the point where I considered eating a whole raw onion to dissipate the flavor. Half a box of saltines later, my nausea has subsided. My sleep was not restful though, and it tastes like a cat took a $hit in my mouth this morning.

Would I buy this cigar again?: I still cant believe I bought it this time! I dont get how anybody could smoke these cigars... but somebody is buying them because Jonathan Drew is making himself boat loads of money.

This cigar was horrible, and I dont feel the slightest bit of cigar elitism saying it... still I might grab another just to throw it in the next PPP we have and tell the guys its an O.R. Sig I... just to see their faces.

Nah on second though, F-U Jonathan Drew!!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote