View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
mariogolbee

Default Re: I'm Looking For A Good Southern Biscuits & Gravy Recipe

I use a 1lb chub of Jimmy Dean sausage, either sage or maple, depending on the mood. I fry that on low-med. heat with a splash of water while crumbling it until it is no longer pink and is in small enough pieces adding a splash of water whenever it looks like my grease is evaporating. While the sausage is cooking I add lots of fresh ground pepper, a dash of salt, a generous dash of garlic powder, and ancho chili powder for the maple variety or chipotle chili powder for the sage kind. When the sausage is cooked I add some 1/2 and 1/2 or cream, maybe a cup or two, and let it warm up on low heat while stirring. Once nice and warm, I add a few table spoons of flour and IMMEDIATELY stir it in. At this point everything is done by feel. I continue adding 1/2 and 1/2 and flour in small amounts (1/2 cup-1 cup of 1/2 and 1/2 and tablespoon-pinch of flour) until I'm satisfied with the amount of gravy. Then I re-season to taste and add milk/flour until my spatula can push the gravy to one side of the pan it barely runs freely to refill the spot. The gravy shouldn't be to thin, but not too thick, because it will thicken upon setting and cooling.

This is what my mother requested for Mother's Day and it has swooned many a woman and satisfied many a friend. To kick it up a notch add fresh cut jalepenos while cooking.

As for biscuits, I usually use the Bisquick recipe on the box with the following exceptions. I add garlic powder, and a little extra milk. I also knead the dough about twenty times until silky and no longer sticky. The rest of the recipe from Bisquick works fine for me. In a way I'd rather have the buttery, flaky biscuits, but I don't think this is so much about the biscuits as what they are being smothered with. Just be sure the biscuits are moist and soft, not hard and dry.

I slice the biscuits in half and lay them on a plate open face up and let the gravy pour. A couple of scrambled eggs on the side and a cup of Florida oj not from concentrate and I'm good to go.