Default Cigar Review: Camacho Connecticut

The Cigar: Camacho Connecticut
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
Binder: Honduran
Filler: Honduras, Dominican
Origin: Honduras
Size: 6×50 Toro
Price: 134.99 per box of 25, about $6-$7 per single at a B&M

Initial Thoughts: This cigar is a change of pace from Camacho, who is typically known for the full bodied powerhouse cigars such as the Camacho Corojo, Coylar, Triple Maduro just to name a few. This cigar represents Camacho’s response to a lot of consumer requests for a milder bodied smoke from them. Personally I always love when cigar companies get out of their comfort zone because you really get to see how well, or not so well a company really is when doing something they are not accustomed to doing. As far as the cigar’s appearance goes, it is a little rough around the edges. It has a lumpy appearance and when gently pressed, has a soft spongy feel to it which is quite typical of most Camacho Cigars. There are plenty of veins running throughout but then again this is a cigar we have here, not a wooden dowel. The band is extremely nice with this cigar, just the right size and is ubber classy with gold lettering and trim over a white background.

Flavors: Right off the bat you are welcomed with a nice woody spice with an almost almondy flavor. After a few puffs the spice diminishes but still has a slight presence, but definitely not over bearing. As the second third comes, it is more of the same creamy, woody, nuttiness, and the pepper has backed way down. The flavors have such a nice balance to them and the cigar has been very enjoyable up to this point. The final third really mellows down and is much of the same, just more balance and smoothness. The body of this cigar starts off medium and backs down to mild to medium spectrum by the end of the cigar which was very nice.

Smoking Characteristics: As with most Camacho cigar I have smoked, the draw is very loose bordering on too loose. However I have learned that with Camacho cigars, you must gently draw from them and almost sip the cigar so it doesn’t smoke to hot. For this reason I would definitely say the new smoker would have to stay away from this one because most new smokers tend to puff way too hard on their smokes as if it was a contest to see how much smoke one can produce. The burn was very even, and the ash is nice and compact.

Final Thoughts: I don’t think there is any hiding my excitement of this cigar. Connecticut wrappers are usually not my thing but this is a truly a fantastic smoke that is defiantly on my list to pick up a box. Most Connecticut wrappered cigars are mild and meant for the mornings, this cigar has enough flavors that can truly be smoked any time. It is a very elegant, balanced smoke that I just can’t say enough about.

Worth a Shot: Yes, anybody will enjoy this cigar
Buy Again: Yes, boxy worthy
Enjoyablity: Very High
Similar Cigars: There isn’t really a similar cigar out there. It is like an Oliva Connecitcut reserve with more finesse and more balance. Nub Connecticut, again with more balance, Rocky Patel Vintage 1999, once again with more balance and just a lot more flavor.