View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #16
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Semi-Fake Original Mixture Balkan Sobranie

It can always be the case that one person likes something and someone else doesn't (e.g., GLP Union Square seems to excite thousands but, after three tins and various pipes, still leaves me cold). Without being critical, nonetheless, I found fid's review above to be very far distant from my experience.

I have been smoking Germain's Balkan Sobranie in a large meerschaum dublin that gets first shake on almost any new english blend I try. In fact, it it smoked four oir five bowls of JFG BS Friday-Sunday and it tastes very good to me. This morning I changed over to a Kurt Huhn briar that also sees onlyenglish tobacco. The difference in taste was considerable. It was rather dull, not at all sweet and essentially one-dimensional. I have had the same experience with Red Rapparree in the past - dull in one pipe and quite sweet in another. shrug. I dunno. Oriental tobaccos do that to me quite often. I never know for sure if it's that pipe, any pipe or my senses.